Sunday, June 3, 2018

Integrating Social Media into an Architecture Class

While I have been using a form of Social Media - Wikispaces - for some time now, they are closing down that platform.  This means I have to begin to re-adjust many of my programs and projects to use other social sites.

As a starter plan for integrating social media into at least one of my programs, I chose Architecture.  In looking at the ways that it can be adapted in, I took a look at three different assignments / projects which I already incorporate, and how they could be simplified in their execution through the use of Pinterest.

In all honesty, I have never really / truly used much of the social media that is out there and available, primarily because I never really had the time to explore it and see what it can do.  However, with some discussion with students who do use such sites, I have come to realize that some of my projects could be made much easier with the adaptation / integration of some of these sites, and that the students might actually participate more than what they do with their use.

In evaluating my Architecture program, I currently have three different projects where students are required to do some research, and then create a presentation or submit pictures for.  With each of these, getting the students to take and then submit the pictures is always problematic due to lack of hard drive space, the fact that the school blocks cell-phone plug-ins to their computers, and of course the old Apple / Android issues.

Two of the projects in which I would integrate social media into would be as follows:

1. Architectural Design:  
Identify different architectural designs / styles of houses within our school district / county.

2. Roofing Design:
Identify different roofing designs / styles within our school district / county.

With both of these projects, the goals are relatively simple.  In the classroom, we investigate and discuss different housing designs (Victorian, Colonial, Neo-Classic, etc.).  In the past, I have had them go online to investigate and create a presentation on a specific style.  



With the new format, I would use Pinterest as both a collection and reference site.   After setting up a specific Pinterest Board, I would set up an invite for all students enrolled in the class, which would give them the ability to look at the site, as well as post information on it. 

Students would either be assigned a specific house or roof design, for which they would then find examples of that style in a given region, take pictures of the house, then post it into Pinterest with a description of the house and what qualifies it to be considered that format of house.  The other option would be where the students have to find a certain number of different house styles and do the same research but with multiple styles as opposed to one specific style.
Roof Style Description in Pinterest Board

Pinterest Invitation Board












A major benefit to this would be that students would be able to see what other's have done, and not use the same house or roof for their own example and description.  In addition, as an instructor, I could maintain a much better record of who is actually doing the work, as the posts are listed by email / name, and can be updated and checked at almost any time.

Evaluation would be rubric based, most likely on a 1-5 scale, with a list of evaluated items that would include:
  • House / roof style
  • Address
  • Multiple pictures
  • Style description
 

No comments:

Post a Comment